“I want to put a ding in the universe.” -Steve Jobs
Raise your hand if you want to start a craft brewery. According to the Brewer’s Association, 15 new breweries are opening each and every week in the U.S. That’s a lot of hands in the air.
Now, raise your hand if you want a road map to follow with details on exactly how to start your own craft brewery.
The Brew Kit from Bernstein Shur law firm provides a simple, summarized version of the steps needed to start your dream brewery.
- Legal entity formation: 12 months before start date
- Brand identify and trademark protection: 12 months before start
- Financing and real estate: 10 months before start
- Federal licensing and compliance: 9 months before start
- State licensing and compliance: 4 months before start
- Brew day! Start your engines!
The Brew Kit provides a nice summary of the action items and timelines you’ll need to follow. Give Bernstein Shur a call for more details.
For in-depth guidance on starting your own brewery check out the Craft Brewery Financial Training Start Up Brewery Course.
Craft Brewery Financial Training Members: To get the Start Up Brewery Course, Log In to your account and access the Online Courses from the Member Menu.
Not a member yet? Sign up and get instant and unlimited access to Craft Brewery Financial Training online courses, resources and guides.
Yours in the craft beer dream,
Kary Shumway, CPA