“I want to put a ding in the universe.” -Steve Jobs
Raise your hand if you want to start a craft brewery. According to the Brewer’s Association, 15 new breweries are opening each and every week in the U.S. That’s a lot of hands in the air.
Now, raise your hand if you want a road map to follow with details on exactly how to start your own craft brewery.
The Brew Kit from Bernstein Shur law firm provides a simple, summarized version of the steps needed to start your dream brewery.
- Legal entity formation: 12 months before start date
- Brand identify and trademark protection: 12 months before start
- Financing and real estate: 10 months before start
- Federal licensing and compliance: 9 months before start
- State licensing and compliance: 4 months before start
- Brew day! Start your engines!
The Brew Kit provides a nice summary of the action items and timelines you’ll need to follow. Give Bernstein Shur a call for more details.
For a more details on each of the steps to open your craft brewery business, and learnings from other craft breweries, please raise your hand to become a Craft Brewery Finance subscriber today.
Yours in the craft beer dream,
Kary Shumway, CPA